Cosmetic Eyelid Surgery – Blepharoplasty
Eyelid aesthetics or blepharoplasty is a set of surgical procedures performed by a plastic surgeon to remove sagging skin and excess muscle tissue and to tighten the tissues around the eyes, applied to the lower and upper eyelids.
With the advancement of age, skin sagging naturally occurs due to the effect of gravity. Parallel to this process, findings such as bagging on the eyelids, loosening skin, discoloration, relaxation, and wrinkles occur. Factors such as exposure to sun rays, air pollution, irregular sleep, excessive smoking, and alcohol use accelerate the skin’s aging process.
What are the signs of eyelid aging?
The skin is normally elastic. But as you age, its elasticity gradually decreases. As a result of the loss of elasticity in the facial skin, the excess skin is first collected on the eyelids. Therefore, the first signs of aging appear on the eyelids. Changes due to aging in the eyelids cause a tired, dull, and old appearance in the person. Some of the signs of aging seen on the lower and upper eyelids;
- Bags and discoloration under the eyes
- Upper eyelid drooping
- Wrinkles and sagging on the eyelid skin
- Crow’s feet lines around the eyes
- It can be listed as a tired facial expression.
At what age are Eyelid Aesthetics (Blepharoplasty) performed, what should be considered before the operation, and how is the surgery performed?
- Eyelid aesthetics are mostly performed by individuals over the age of 35. Because the signs of aging on the eyelids often begin to appear after these ages. However, it is possible for anyone with a medical need to have it done at any age. Surgery cannot stop the ongoing aging of the eyelids, but it lasts for 7-8 years. After the surgery, the tired facial expression of the person leaves its place to a lively and serene appearance.
- Due to the risk of increased bleeding tendency during surgery, the use of drugs such as aspirin and antibiotics should be discontinued at least 15 days before the procedure. The use of cigarettes and other tobacco products should also be stopped 2-3 weeks ago, as they delay wound healing. Herbal supplements should not be taken during this period, as they may cause unexpected effects.
- Upper eyelid aesthetics or droopy eyelid surgery, in short, is the process of removing excess skin and muscle tissue in the area. An incision is made from the fold line of the eyelid so that the surgical scar is not visible. It gives better cosmetic results when applied together with forehead lift and eyebrow lift operations. In addition, patients who have eyelid aesthetics may also prefer operations such as almond eye aesthetics.
As with any surgical procedure, some scarring can be expected. However, scars from eyelid aesthetics are minimal and become almost unnoticeable after a few months of healing.
No, eyelid aesthetics is not applied to correct wrinkles (crow’s feet) or drooping eyebrows in the outer corners of your eyes. There are also procedures such as non-surgical aesthetic operations that can be applied to remove wrinkles around the eyes, including Botox and filler injections.
Within a few days, that is, as the swelling decreases, the results begin to appear clearly. You may have to wait a week or two for full results.